python-devel as BR (was: Re: Heads-up: python 2.5 on its way)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Dec 9 15:06:29 UTC 2006

Till Maas schrieb:
> On Saturday 09 December 2006 02:20, Christopher Stone wrote:
>> hrm, adding python-devel to the BR was needed to fix this.  I was
>> under the impressions that as of FC5 one no longer needed to do this?
>> My package built fine with FC5 and FC6 without having python-devel in
>> the BR, why is it needed now?
> I don't know why, but offlineimap needed BR: python-devel, too.

I'm not 100% sure, but the situation is like this afaics: python-devel
gets pull in the default buildroot of FE5 and FE6 by some dep from the
list at http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions

That seems to have changed in devel. That was noticed for the first time
some weeks ago -- some people discussed this in #fedora-extras iirc (or
was it even discussed on one of the several lists? not sure, can't
remember) and wanted to further investigate, but nothing "official" came
out of it afaik.

Anyway, how to proceed? python-devel is not in the Full Exception list
from http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/FullExceptionList and thus
should have been listed as BR normally in any case. It further seems
people would like to keep the default buildroot as small as possible.
Thus simply adding the BR:python-devel seems like the best to me.

CU
thl