python-devel as BR

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Dec 11 15:38:54 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 16:33 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Saturday 09 December 2006 16:06, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > I'm not 100% sure, but the situation is like this afaics: python-devel
> > gets pull in the default buildroot of FE5 and FE6 by some dep from the
> > list at http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions
>
> Last monday python-devel was not needed for offlineimap to build in devel:
> http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-development-extras/22897-offlineimap-4.0.16-2.fc7/noarch/root.log
>
> In FC6, pyconfig-32.h is in python-devel, so it seems that there was a change
> that pyconfig-32.h is now (with python 2.5) required for some reason.

distutils is now using pyconfig for finding the config information that
python was built with; previously, it used the bits under
%{_libdir}/python2.4/config which arguably should be in python-devel as
well.

So while I could hack around to make things build with just python
installed, I think that BR: python-devel is the more correct way to go.
Seem sane to everyone?

And apologies, I meant to include this in the second mail since I
noticed it with a couple of packages in Core (3 packages needed
modification for this), but it had slipped my mind by the time I sent
mail.

Jeremy