Heads-up: python 2.5 on its way

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Dec 12 06:58:43 UTC 2006

"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> writes:
> On 12/6/06, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
>> This is just a heads up that I'm in the progress of getting python 2.5
>> staged for the development tree.

> I need a clear policy statement with regard to how the frell I'm
> suppose to get my python packages in Extras rebuilt in a timely
> manner.

> Do i have the authority to bump release packages underneath mine as
> needed? Or do I have to sit on my hands waiting for the maintainers to
> have the time to deal with this?

Mebbe I shouldn't stick my neck out here, but: as long as I've been at
Red Hat, it's been OK for any package maintainer to force a rebuild of
someone else's dependent package.  If you find that any noticeable
source code changes are required then it'd be wise to consult, but if
it's just a matter of bump-the-release-number-add-a-changelog-entry-
and-rebuild, then go ahead and do it.  Most maintainers will be happy
that you didn't make them jump through such a silly hoop.

(Some people actually have mass-rebuilds automated, particularly those
reponsible for gcc, glibc, etc...)

			regards, tom lane