Plan for tomorrows (20061213) FESCO meeting

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Dec 13 22:37:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:24:50 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the next
> FESCo meeting that scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday at 18:00 UTC in
> #fedora-extras on irc.freenode.org.

> You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
> this mail and I'll add it to the schedule (I can't promise we will get
> to it tomorrow, but we'll most likely will if we don't run out of time).
> You can also propose topics in the meeting while it is in the "Free
> discussion around Fedora Extras" phase.

I'd like to see a quick decision on:

  "Stop running repoview for debuginfo packages!"

The rationale is as follows:

* I have strong doubts that browsing repoview pages for debuginfo
packages (in _addition_ to normal packages!) is popular.
Example: http://fedoraproject.org/extras/6/i386/debug/repodata/

* The repoview page for a main package ought to cover whether a debuginfo
package is available and what its name is. Remember, its name is based on
the src.rpm %{name}, not the binary sub-package name.

* Running repoview takes time.

* Running it on "debug" repositories takes additional time. The more
stuff we run during repository maintenance, the sooner we will need to
deal with delays because something has locked the repository, and we will
need special features to interrupt update-jobs like repoview. [1]

* Repoview for debuginfo packages creates many thousand HTML files in
addition to the repoview pages for the normal packages, and it creates
even many more updated files than updates packages because of the
alphabetically sorted index of packages in the left frame of a repoview
page.

* It seems I'm not alone with my point of view. :)  See e.g.
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/private/fedora-infrastructure-list/2006-December/msg00054.html

--
[1] Most likely we will end up with a queueing system for automated
repository maintenance jobs (like repoprune, createrepo, repoview)