icon cache scriplet guideline update

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Dec 19 19:46:36 UTC 2006

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 12:19 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> FYI,
>> The packaging committee passed a new guidelines wrt icon cache scriptlets:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ScriptletSnippets/iconcache
>> (pending FESCo/Core-cabal ratification).
>>
>> In short, replace existing scriptlets
>> touch --no-create %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor || :
>> %{_bindir}/gtk-update-icon-cache --quiet %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor || :
>> with
>> %{_bindir}/xdg-icon-resource forceupdate --theme hicolor  || :

> It is interesting to note that this proposal doesn't actually address
> the one problem that there is with the current snipplets, namely that
> we keep regenerating the cache over and over.

True, other problems like needless cache regeneration is indeed (still)
a problem, but, afaik, no solution exists for that, yet.

Main problem *this* proposal is (trying to) address:
The freedesktop.org icon spec only mandates 'touching' top-level icon
dir, but current packaging guidelines include toolkit-specific (gtk2)
cache implementation details.  Removing those details without addressing
related gtk2 RFE yields stale gtk2 icon cache.

I proposed keeping the exising gtk-update-icon-cache as an option for
icon scriptlets, and this was universally shot-down by the PC.  They
insisted on simplicity.

So, this led to option 2:
Propose using only xdg-utils.  This simplifies the guidelines, uses
desktop-agnostic tools, and (virtually) fixes the gtk2 issue, since it
guarantees that the gtk2 icon cache is (should be!) kept current.

-- Rex