FC7 plan comments

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at redhat.com
Tue Dec 19 19:58:07 UTC 2006

Comments on the FC7 draft plan:

8. Rock Solid Wireless

I would ping John Linville too.  He already makes kernel RPMs with
enhanced wireless based on his upstream maintainership work.

10. Boot and shutdown speedup

Jens Axboe did some kernel work for this, fcache:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/5/15/46

A lot of the boot slowness here comes from (a) udev [10+ seconds in
startup], or (b) non-parallel initscripts.

12. rpm/yum enhancements

Lack of decent pipelining seems to continue to hurt here.  IMO yum
should communicate with a download thread in the background.  This
thread would be responsibile for keeping HTTP pipelines full where
possible, even to the extent of connecting to another mirror _while_ a
connection to an existing mirror is plodding along.

18. Move to using libata for PATA support

Please keep me and Alan Cox in the loop on this.

NOTE: You might need some intelligence in mkinitrd to avoid adding
spurious drivers such as pata_generic or ata_generic to the initrd,
after matching more specific pata_* drivers.

19. Move to syslog-ng

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, possible patent problems:
http://bazsi.blogspot.com/2006/07/thoughts-on-patent-system.html

23. Fix wakeups across the distribution

An admirable task :)  Is anyone collecting a list of stupid apps in a
wiki?

My additions:

J1) (possibly not FC7 material)  installer support for a few popular
FUSE filesystems

J2) Drop support for any hardware that does not support -march=i686

J3) When is GNOME ever going to save/restore the sessions of apps other
than my terminals?  Firefox, Thunderbird, and xchat all claim X session
support, but GNOME never saves the window positions etc.