icon cache scriplet guideline update

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Dec 19 20:39:43 UTC 2006

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 14:16 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Matthias Clasen wrote:

>>> Wrong. the icon cache specification is part of the icon theme spec.

>> I remembering you mention that it was or should be there somewhere, but
>> I've never been able to find it.  Could you give me a hint/pointer?

> So there you go, it is gtk-specific at this point.

Let's take this a step further, how keen would you be for the Packaging
Guidelines to mandate including *more*, not less, desktop-specific
freedesktop.org/XDG implementation details(1) into *all* packages
(especially if it were for performance optimization only, not just for
proper function)?  What if such nonsense could simply be avoided (or
better, abstracted)?

(1)  One kde-specific example (off the top of my head):
* MUST: Packages installing .desktop files that register handling
MimeTypes, MUST include scriptlet:
%post
%{_bindir}/kbuildsycoca --global

-- Rex