FC7 plan comments

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Dec 20 06:55:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 14:58 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> 12. rpm/yum enhancements
>
> Lack of decent pipelining seems to continue to hurt here.  IMO yum
> should communicate with a download thread in the background.  This
> thread would be responsibile for keeping HTTP pipelines full where
> possible, even to the extent of connecting to another mirror _while_ a
> connection to an existing mirror is plodding along.

In all of the various reports I've gotten of speed issues with yum very
few of them have said we need to complicate the process with a
background downloading thread in order to help it. In fact, given that
we are communicating to multiple servers and we use keepalive it isn't
really a big issue on the download.

> 19. Move to syslog-ng
>
> DANGER WILL ROBINSON, possible patent problems:
> http://bazsi.blogspot.com/2006/07/thoughts-on-patent-system.html

Why didn't this come up when syslog-ng was brought into extras many
moons ago?

-sv