icon cache scriplet guideline update

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Dec 20 13:43:47 UTC 2006

Callum Lerwick wrote:

> I say this should be taken out of individual specs as much as possible.
> Centralization good. Duplication bad. Don't Repeat Yourself, Once and Only
> Once, etc. Simplification of specs, also good

Amen brother.

> There should be a post-transaction script hook in RPM itself, rather
> than the package spec, which can handle these things.
>
> Either the the package postinstall script sets some flag somehow that
> the script sees, or better yet, the script is provided a list of all
> modified/added/removed files, which it can simply grep through, and make
> decisions like "Something changed in /usr/share/icons, better update the
> cache" or "Something changed in /usr/lib, better run ldconfig". The
> individual packages then don't have to worry about it at all.

An ideal solution for a large class of packaging issues, certainly.

Anyone have any concrete proposals of how to implement this?  (And such
discussions would best take place on the fedora-packaging list)

Because, frankly, poo-pooing the current proposal/guidelines in favor of
some handy-wavy theoretical lacking-actual-implementation solution, is
no solution.

-- Rex