icon cache scriplet guideline update

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Wed Dec 20 21:10:30 UTC 2006

Hi.

"Chitlesh GOORAH" <chitlesh at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I'm firing a RFE since we are talking about scriptlets!
> When installing more than 2 rpms with yum with scriptlets,
> installation is quite slow since for each rpm it has to
> %{_bindir}/xdg-icon-resource forceupdate --theme hicolor  || :
> why not telling yum to do it once only ?

I am not convinced that this can be done in a sane way, and I am,
quite frankly, amazed that it does seem to work with %post -p
(most often used with %post -p /sbin/ldconfig, as it seems).

Assume you have three packages scheduled for update, A, B, and C.
A and C provide libraries, and use "%post -p /sbin/ldconfig". As
I understand it, rpm will only execute ldconfig once, at the end
of the transaction.

Now assume that B calls something in it's %post section that depends
on a library installed from A. Will the linker find the library, if
there has been a change of SONAME?

This problem can be easily transformed into something that does not
involve libraries :)

--
The gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.