FC7 plan comments

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 21:23:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 22:20 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> >  > J1) (possibly not FC7 material)  installer support for a few popular
> >  > FUSE filesystems
> >
> > Tricky, as the filesystems need to be in the installer image.
> > What's the use-case for this ? The only one I can think of is for the
> > fuse crypto stuff, and a better solution for crypto installs is
> > probably going to be to use e2cryptfs.
>
> I'd be happy for working dm-crypt support. The kernel bits work, but I
> can neither install (sanely) on such a device, and initrd support (for
> encrypted /) seems to be missing, too.

The problem is that how do you handle this in the initrd?  You want to
be able to prompt a user (in their native language) as well as support
their native keymap.  This could very easily require an X server and a
lot of fonts and other bits.  At which point, exactly what are you
trying to accomplish?

Encrypting data?  Very interesting.
Encrypting the OS bits that anyone can download?  Much less interesting,
IMHO

Jeremy