FC7 plan comments

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Thu Dec 21 06:22:36 UTC 2006

> Callum Lerwick (seg at haxxed.com) said:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 22:30 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > While we are talking about bugs and daemons, can we maybe rewrite
> > > yum-updatesd in a language that makes it use less than 10MB ? It is by
> > > far the biggest of the useless daemons...
> >
> > Why is it even a resident daemon?
>
> It's used by the update applet - the applet queries it for available
> updates, and by having the daemon resident, it saves bloat and slowness
> in the applet. (Basically, the same code would have to be in one
> place or the other...)

What state does the daemon keep in memory in between talking to the
applet that makes it useful as a daemon ? The whole mechanism is still
pull based. Why doesn't something like the following work:
      * cron runs yum-update-check (which does essentially what the
        daemon does now) every N hours and leaves files with info about
        update state behind
      * applet looks at files to determine what needs to be done

I am sure there is a variation on this that uses dbus for the
communication from the cronjob to the applet (which could be as simple
as 'applet check the files')

David