gtk2 create/maintain icon cache (bug #170335)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Thu Dec 21 21:14:56 UTC 2006

On Thursday, 21 December 2006 at 14:58, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> >I have proposed a solution in the bug. But instead of working on that,
> >people preferred to opt for the magical xdg bullet...
>
> Your suggestion was a good one (thanks), but it appears that relying
> 100% on %posttrans isn't a reliable (or ideal) option either (see also
> fedora-packagers list for another thread on that).
>
> So, here are the questions that remain to be answered:
>
> 0 (premise) Relying solely upon rpm scriptlet hooks to keep icon cache
> fresh is problematic (all it takes is one package/instance of not
> calling gtk2-update-icon-cache) and inefficient.  Agree/disagree?

+1

> 1.  gtk2 should include a %post scriptlet to (re)generate (possibly
> missing) initial icon cache.  Agree/disagree?

+1

0

> 0. Can be addressed by updating packaging guidelines to not mandate
> gtk2-update-icon-cache in scriptlets.  I hope we can all agree at this
> point there are better ways of doing it.
>
> 1. Easy, should (imo) be a no-brainer to include in gtk2 package.
>
> 2. My proposed cron job is one way to address this, but many folks seem
> to cringe at that suggestion.  Fine, come up with something better.

I'll admit I know nothing about GTK, but couldn't this be done on-demand?
I assume that when an application needs to display some icon, it calls some
GTK function to do that. Couldn't this function check if the icon cache is
old enough to rebuild it if the icons directory has been updated?

Regards,
R.

--
Fedora Extras contributor  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DominikMierzejewski