gtk2 create/maintain icon cache (bug #170335)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 22:23:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 22:14 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 December 2006 at 14:58, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > 2. My proposed cron job is one way to address this, but many folks seem
> > to cringe at that suggestion.  Fine, come up with something better.
>
> I'll admit I know nothing about GTK, but couldn't this be done on-demand?
> I assume that when an application needs to display some icon, it calls some
> GTK function to do that. Couldn't this function check if the icon cache is
> old enough to rebuild it if the icons directory has been updated?

Only sort of.  The iconcache is owned by root so a normal user running a
gtk app can't directly modify it.  I don't believe that gtk has a per
user cache but even if someone codes that, it would be wasteful (the
icons are a system resource so each user would end up with copies of the
same cache).

-Toshio