FC7 plan comments

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 18:43:11 UTC 2006

On 12/19/06, John W. Linville <linville at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 12:41:18PM -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:
> > On 12/19/06, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >Comments on the FC7 draft plan:
> > >
> > >8. Rock Solid Wireless
> > >
> > >I would ping John Linville too.  He already makes kernel RPMs with
> > >enhanced wireless based on his upstream maintainership work.
> >
> > Indeed.  My wireless card actually crashes the kernel.  I've been
> > meaning to test John's kernel here:
> > http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/fc6/ which supposedly fixes
> > this.
>
> Hmmmm...well, I hope so.  Let me know if that is less than
> satisfactory... :-)

I installed your kernel and ran modprobe bcm43xx with whatever drivers
I had originally installed and this worked, but I could not get my
wireless card to work.  I then rebooted into the normal kernel and
tried modprobe bcm43xx again to see if it still crashed the kernel,
but it actually worked.  I then tried rmmod bcm43xx, installing a new
firmware with fwcutter and then modprobe again but this time it
crashed the kernel.

I then started noticing that when I rebooted, the kernel is no longer
recognizing my usb ports on my monitor.

I rebooted into your kernel again and retested the modprobing stuff
and it all seemed to work, but I could not get the wireless card to
work.

I'm afraid I am just not cut out for this kind of testing.  I now have
four useless usb ports on my monitor that used to work before all
this, and that's why I hate testing this kind of stuff.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help.  About the only thing I can
tell you is that I could not get the kernel to crash with your kernel,
and I could get the current kernel to crash, and my usb ports on my
monitor no longer work because of it.  :(

-Chris