Page size (was Re: New printer administration tool design for comments)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Feb 10 12:14:48 UTC 2006

Le Ven 10 février 2006 12:05, Tim Waugh a écrit :

>> > 2.5. Page size as a special case
>> >      ---------------------------
>> >
>> > When adding a new queue for an automatically detected printer, an
>> > appropriate default page size should be chosen based on the system
>> > locale.
>> >
>> > CUPS will already do this for us when a new queue is created, so there
>> > is no action to be taken.
>>
>> Unless the RH/Fedora tools have been fouling-up cups, it has always been
>> defaulting to Letter in my experience
>
> What I mean by 'CUPS will already do this for us' is this:
>
> [root at cyberelk ~]# zgrep DefaultPageSize
> /usr/share/cups/model/deskjet.ppd.gz
> *DefaultPageSize: Letter
> [root at cyberelk ~]# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -x test
> lpadmin: delete-printer failed: client-error-not-found
> [root at cyberelk ~]# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p test -m deskjet.ppd.gz
> [root at cyberelk ~]# zgrep DefaultPageSize /etc/cups/ppd/test.ppd
> *DefaultPageSize: A4
> [root at cyberelk ~]# grep LANG /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
> [root at cyberelk ~]# rpm -q cups
> cups-1.1.23-15.4
>
> CUPS knows to adjust the "PageSize" PPD option based on your locale
> when a queue is added using the IPP interface.
>
> (I'll reply to the other points in a separate message.)

Ok, but here you are triggering queue creation manually from the shell
with (I suppose) every locale-related environment variables set correctly.
Will it be the case for hotplug-triggered creations ? (it seems not to be
the case today)

BTW some vendor PPDs only include a subset of the formats a printer can
process (the manual tray can typically eat whatever strange enveloppe
format you feed it), so I wouldn't trust them blindly.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot