New printer administration tool design for comments

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 12:38:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:48:02AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> what I'd like to see is a mechanism similar to automatic http proxy
> discovery; eg allow for a "site configuration", which you pull down
> automatic (say if dhcp points you at it) if you are in a certain
> building at work, but not when you are at home (because then you want to
> pull down another printer list from your local firewall box ;)

I can see two things you might mean:

a. site policy tells clients about printers in the print room

b. site policy tells clients what settings to use for any local
   printers that get attached, on a model by model basis (e.g. for HP
   printer with duplexer, use long-edge duplexing)

I think that a. should be taken care of by CUPS browsing (2.7.2 Remote
Discovery).

I chose interpretation b. when replying to Nicolas Mailhot in
"Persistent Settings (was ...)".  I don't know if that's what you
meant, or if it's a good idea, or how to implement it if it is. :-)

Tim.
*/