Classes (was Re: New printer administration tool design for comments)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Feb 10 13:16:47 UTC 2006

Le Ven 10 février 2006 13:52, Tim Waugh a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 01:30:12PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
>> A typical user will want a "dumb fast black and white printer" class. If
>> you allow for network user-specific printers (smb...) the printers a
>> particular user may have at his disposal to constitute classes will be
>> very different from the ones known at system-level.
>
> I do think there is a real danger of over-designing in this area.
> Let's try not to make things any more complicated than they need be.
> Per-user queues are in the design because Stateless Linux requires
> them.  If it weren't for Stateless Linux, I wouldn't be talking about
> them at all.

Stateless Linux is just an extreme case of roaming user.
Most of the stateless linux enhancements are also very useful for roaming
laptop users.

In the Stateless Linux care changing system state is useless because it's
not saved.

In the Roaming Laptop User case you could possibly change system state
except :
1. He'll plug in networks controlled by different entities. You need to
isolate the printing policies of each of those entities, and none of them
is abilited to do the synthesis of all the policies. The roaming user will
have to do it alone
2. you really do *not* want to give him admin rights and ability to do
changes at the system level. Synthesis (priorization of queues, alias
asignments) must be done at the user level

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot