New printer administration tool design for comments

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 17:36:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:39:51AM -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> Maybe too early for specific feature requests, but here goes:
>
> Certain newer printers can print PDF natively.  To do so requires the
> following added to the PPD:
>
>     *cupsFilter: "application/pdf 0 -"
>
> I'm still not sure how useful this is (brand new printer for us), but
> should be configurable from the admin interface.

I think the first step is making it really easy to use a given PPD to
set up a queue.  Right now that's harder than it should be.

It would be good to concentrate on re-implementing the functionality
we already have in such a way that it is no longer tied to alchemist,
and then we can look at new features.

For the specific case of native PDF handling, there are rumblings
among printing developers about switching from PS to PDF for jobs in
the future anyway, so perhaps it's best to see what happens with that.

Tim.
*/