FC-4 Extras buildsystem breakage details

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Feb 22 21:44:16 UTC 2006

Dan Williams wrote:

> We should also start up a discussion about how to prevent problems of
> this nature in the future.  We would not have noticed the problem had
> boa not been conflicting with mock, but the real issue of dap-server
> providing perl-HTML-Parser modules itself would still have been a
> problem, albeit a silent one.  If there are scripts, rules, and/or
> pre-submit checks which could be performed at various stages, it might
> go a long way towards prevent this sort of breakage in the future.

A crude one might be to have mock check the names of the packages
installed by "groupinstall build" against a list of "approved" packages.
  This list should be static for all releases, and nearly so for rawhide.

I've been bitten too by a package providing a file that conflicts with
another package.  Provides should be checked for conflicts too, although
there would have to be a white list of Provides that are allowed to be
duplicated  - like webserver.  Since this info is all in the repo data,
shouldn't be too bad to write. :-)

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222