Rebuild status of FE5 (Was: Re: Please rebuild your packages in the development tree of Fedora Extras)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 19:28:35 UTC 2006

On 2/26/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> If there is a good reason why the package is not yet rebuild please add
> a short note to the page. tia
> jspaleta_AT_gmail.com                       istanbul                            0.1.1-5

Dependancy issues... which i do not think will get resolved in time
for 5c5 release.
1)gst08 was pulled out of Core and needs to get into Extras
2)ditto for gst08-plugins
3)gstream08-python has a 64bit specific problem that I don't have the
hardware available to diagnose or patch myself... and which is made
moot by the larger issues of (1) and (2)

4)upstream will have a cvs version which is gst 0.10 pure very very
soon which I am keen on moving over to as soon as possible

5)the current version of gst 0.10 in rawhide doesn't have the
necessary bits for the istanbul cvs to be able to operate against...
the next gst 0.10 release will have it which I expect will be an
update to fc5.

6)istanbul is not published for fc4 and is only currently available in
extras-development.  Considering the timing of the gst08 removal from
Core and the the fact that istanbul has no "release" versions that
need to be worried about... I am not very interested in expending
personal time cleaning up the dependancies to get istanbul against
gst08 out the dore for fc5 release. Especially since i'm pretty
confident I can get an istanbul gst 0.10 based release out in short
order after fc5 release, once there is a gst update.

Personally... instead of being told repeatedly that I need to rebuild
this when I know I can not because of gst08 dep transition.. I'd
prefer if you just pulled the binary from the extras-development tree
for now until i can get instabul built against gst 0.10.  I'm not
overly concerned about getting this built for gst08, in fact I'm
dis-interested in trying to do it at all. The only reason I continue
to keep the related bugreports open is because other people seem to be
interested and seem to be under the fantasy that the gst08 transfer is
going to happen in time for fc5 release. Given the late date as to
when it was dropped in Core, I have no such delusion as to expect the
gst08 dep chain to be sorted out in time.  I'm going to be moving
istanbul over to gst 0.10 asap anyways so  any work done now to get
the gst08 one in a released tree is basically a deadend anyways.

-jef