[RFC] Braking nfs-utils into -devel and -libs rpms.

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Jan 3 21:57:28 UTC 2006

SteveD at redhat.com (Steve Dickson) writes:

> Over the last year or so there has been a number of libraries added
> nfs-utils rm for the v4 and gssapi support as well as an upstream lib
> (libevent) that is not in the FC release.
> I would like to break up the current nfs-utils
> into three different rpms:
>
> nfs-utils       - would include the daemons and init scripts
> nfs-utils-libs  - libnfsidmap.so, libgssapi.so, librpcsecgss.so
> nfs-utils-devel - header files that a currently installed
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Does this sound reasonable?

It everytime a good idea to split libraries and programs when there might
be other packages using the libs. Else, monolithic packages might/will
add of unneeded stuff or even dependencies to packages needing the libs
only.

An example for such a packaging bug is 'aspell': its libraries are used
by foreign programs but you have to install 50 MB of unwanted bloat
(perl, dictionaries) because the 'aspell' package was not split.

> 4) The needed upstream library, libevent, should that be included in
>    the nfs-utils rpm or should it be in its own or include in another
>    rpm?

afaik, there is already 'libevent' in Extras; when needed by nfs-utils
this package should be moved to Core.

Enrico