Packaging/Review Guidelines change

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jan 9 15:51:35 UTC 2006

On Lun 9 janvier 2006 16:16, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 10:54 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> be
>> >
>> > rpm knows about packages, not repos.
>>
>> rpm knows about its db state when performing
>> installations/uninstallations.
>>
>> I meant a warning at rpm -U/-i or -e time not at rpmbuild time
>
> Then you're notifying the wrong people that something is wrong.

Do you really believe it's not the user problem if its system is about to
switch to a state where we know problem may happen ?

>  If
> you're going to automagically probe for this and raise some
> error/warning/notification, it needs to happen when the package is added
> to a repo.

Sure

> Before then it's incorrect,

Why ?

> and after then it doesn't help to know it's busted.

Of course it helps, do you really believe we catch every problem at the
packaging stage ? You could as well advocate removal of every single
warning/error in live systems, since problems should be fixed before
software is shipped (in an ideal lalala world)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot