beagle

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jan 12 19:41:05 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) said:
> The fact that poppler-utils only pulls in cmdline utlities helps
> mitigate the complexity of the issue, but I'm still not convinced that
> turning a runtime optional utility like pdfinfo into a hard
> requirement is a good idea as general policy with regard to how
> optional runtime options are treated in packaging. In my perfect
> world, runtime optional dependancies would be treated as runtime
> optional dependancies and not hard requirements.

Well, you can look at it this way. If you're using Beagle, you're
indexing your desktop & files on it. Are you really going to
run a desktop without *some* sort of PDF viewer?

> In my slightly better world of tomorrow, there would be the ability to
> split out the cmdline utility ssindex and ssconvert from the gnumeric
> application into a -utils subpackage so beagle could require the
> simple cmdline utility without pulling in the gnumeric application, a
> non-default gui application to sit in the menu structure next to
> openoffice.

Well, one idea would be to have a single document-parsing library
that would do this sort of thing. This, of course, doesn't exist.

Bill