beagle

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 19:53:46 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Well, you can look at it this way. If you're using Beagle, you're
> indexing your desktop & files on it. Are you really going to
> run a desktop without *some* sort of PDF viewer?

I'm content with the poppler-utils solution for this. But everytime i
see a runtime optional compoment be forced as an explicit
requirement.. I rage internally at the idea of DA MAN telling me i
must have that extras 3 kb of data on my 300 gig system.  I know I
can't make a compelling, rational case for not having this
requirement.

But you have to admit pulling in xpdf to get pdfinfo is a bit harder
to swallow because you are now adding menu items. Similarly even if
gnumeric gets pulled in, you really are going to want to split out the
cmdline tools.

> Well, one idea would be to have a single document-parsing library
> that would do this sort of thing. This, of course, doesn't exist.

No it never will. But you duck my larger concern.  Pulling packages
out of the hands of community maintainers in Extras to go back under
RedHat only control in Core undermines the goals of community
involvement.  Something needs to change with regard to the strict
seperation of Core/Extras as distinct entities or the selfhosting
requirement. The pillaging of the Extras town center by the Core
norseman, is sure to cause undue frustration on the poor villagers.

-jef