Packaging guidelines: IPv6

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Jul 5 14:34:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 15:19 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 09:48 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > 1. How the hell should I, as the packager, know this?
>
> If you aren't capable of working it out, you really aren't the kind of
> person who should be maintaining packages yet, until you've learned
> more. Thl keeps setting himself forward as an example of a
> non-programmer packager, but 'even' he is capable of basic stuff like
> that.

I disagree - a lot of software has seldom-used network support that I
may never encounter just b/c I happen to package it up.

> > 2. I don't have access to any ipv6 networks - how and WHY should I
> > test this?
>
> Utter crap. Everyone has access to IPv6 networks -- it's trivial, even
> in the US.

Well, if I do I don't know how to access it and I'm not overly-inspired
to learn about it right now.

> > 3. why is it my responsibility to document this
>
> Because we expect a certain level of quality from Fedora packages -- or
> at least I thought we did. I _thought_ we'd decided that Fedora Extras
> wasn't going to just be a random second-rate dumping ground for crap,
> but it was going to aspire to follow the same goals and achieve the same
> quality as Fedora Core.

There are goals and quality in core?? News to me - I thought core was
just what could get passed jeremy, notting and sopwith. :)

> > and clutter up bugzilla?
>
> 'clutter up bugzilla'? Yeah, right. Now we're just getting silly, aren't
> we?

no, we started out silly with your first post. :)

-sv