ambiguity in the guidelines

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 6 00:49:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 04:50:09PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > If it's worth anything at all, as a sysadmin, I find having (e:)v-r
> > information in the changelog to be incredibly useful.
> why? the date tells me more b/c at least that has _something_ to do with
> the versions, etc.

I often have to look for "in what version of the package was bug X or
problem Y addressed?" Knowing it was fixed in May 2005 is *kinda* helpful,
but knowing that it was fixed in a certain version is usually exactly what I
need to know.

I agree that it's less than elegant to put this data in the packager name
field, but given that anything else would require patching RPM, backporting
that patch to every distro, and changing every package, I'm okay with it.