Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Jul 12 11:20:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 00:27 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> > > The "all caps" hardcoded dist tag is wrong. Instead, you should use
> > > %{?dist} to let the buildsystem (both plague and brew support this)
> > > determine what the distribution tag is. It will fill in %{dist}
> > > with .fc6, for example. The dist tag bits are documented here:
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag
> > >
> > > Hardcoding the value for the dist tag is no longer allowed, since the
> > > buildsystem can do it for you.
> >
> > I thought that things allowed hardcoding as long as you used the "right"
> > value.  Granted, doing so is probably kind of silly, but forcing
> > syntactic sugar is also overkill
>
> Ehh. The standard says no, because:

I know for a fact when I originally, grudgingly gave in on the %{?dist}
issue, that we did *not* have it like this.  Unfortunately, as pages
moved around, my subscriptions to get wiki-spam lapsed :(

> - Its easy to get it wrong.

This is a reason why you _have_ convenience things -- it's hardly an
excuse to force them down people's throats.  That's like saying "because
rm is easy to get wrong, we're going to require you to confirm all
deletes".  Sure, we set things up so that you get that as a convenience,
but unalias rm or rm -f let you do what you want.

> - It leads to things like .fc5 packages in the devel branch

... and you still have .fc5 packages if people don't rebuild.

> - It opens the door to arguments like "if i can hardcode .fc6, why can't
> I hardcode .omg.wtf.bbq also" ?

Because .omg.wtf.bbq isn't the distribution which is (one of) the
reasons for non-numerics in the release tag.  I don't really see this as
a real reason either.

Jeremy