Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Jul 12 19:44:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:30:42 +0200 (CEST), Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Mer 12 juillet 2006 12:45, Michael Schwendt a écrit :
>
> > %{?dist} is a variable, giving the false impression that the source
> > package may be valid for arbitrary dist releases and that filling it in
> > would be enough and that no other package updates are required. Even
> > worse, the dist tag enters the file names of the built packages.
>
> If you know your package will break on another release because foo package
> was updated and changed its behaviour, you should require or BR foo with
> the right version

Who said there exists such a dependency or BR?

Or do you suggest "Requires: fedora-release-5"? :)

It might be that the src.rpm builds just fine on a newer dist.  Doesn't
matter. The src.rpm was created for and tested for a specific dist, and I
don't understand why the spec file is not permitted to reflect that. Sure,
I can get the dist tag wrong. I can forget to update it, for instance. So
what? There are so many other problems (and worse problems) I can get into
a package.