Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Wed Jul 12 22:16:54 UTC 2006

> On Wednesday 12 July 2006 16:14, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> > Versions in package names?  The namespace will explode in no time, no
> > history, imagine adding new packages all the time to the bug repository
> > lists, and so on.  Huge implications.
>
> But now we have upstream versions in downstream releases and release namespace
> is exploading.  So putting it in the name is wrong, putting it in version is
> wrong, putting it in release is wrong, that leaves Provides.  It seems to me
> that the only REAL reason for having the jpp in the nevr is for user
> visibility, which could be accomplished by rpm -q --provides.

There is also the issue that people want to get the latest from jpackage
_or_ Fedora, whichever is newer, so it's not just cosmetic. The order
that is wanted is 1jpp < 1jpp.1.fc5 < 2jpp < 2jpp.1.fc5 etc.

I can't think of another scheme to achieve this interleaving given that
both the name and the version are fixed (cause they are determined by
the upstream source) and that jpackage needs to set some sort of release
for their packages, too.

David