Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jul 13 06:43:28 UTC 2006

Le mercredi 12 juillet 2006 à 18:52 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :

> So it looks like the idea of "upgrading" from a Fedora package to
> JPackage to Fedora that was expressed by Fernando Nasser [1]_ is an
> anti-goal (ie: It is explicitly not the desired behaviour.)

The migration is more jpp -> fc but even if fc -> jpp should never be
desirable ideally the truth is fc sometimes lags behind and users would
rather use the latest jpp package than the old fc-customized one.

It's not a simple problem-space. Someone wrote the other day FC had all
the hard packages - well java packages are so hard Fedora mostly didn't
do them before JPP arrived to help it (and BTW if you don't like what
JPP produces it's an FLOSS project they'll gladly accept any helping
hand)

Ideally Fedora would have the manpower to package everything jpp does
(and more) but we're not in an ideal world. The current convention tries
to make the best of the existing situation for Fedora users.

--
Nicolas Mailhot