Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Jul 14 21:38:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 16:59 -0400, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> The '0.' prefix for pre-releases is very important, as it is intended to
> lose for the final '1'.
>
> And the pre-release tags?  We have been obeying strictly what the
> upstream software produced is using.  This means that if they say it is
> 'rc2' then JPP has 0.rc2....  but if they say it is 'M4', it becomes
> 0.M4....   Strictly what the developers called it and the software web
> site refers to it as (normally it is also in the sorce tar ball name).

Note that the above scheme is broken in the sense that it lacks .<int>
between the leading 0 and $prereleasestuff, possibly resulting in the
need to bump the leading 0 before the final version is out.  More info:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#head-e104844825856d7c45f2f0241586985c0495966b

Example:
0.YYYYMMDD > 0.beta5 may be undesirable, but with the additional .<int>,
the packager is always in control and can do eg. 0.1.YYYYMMDD <
0.2.beta5