Development/Libraries/Java Group?

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Fri Jul 21 09:27:44 UTC 2006

Anthony Green wrote:
> This web page...
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RPMGroups
>
> ...indicates that a Group value of Development/Libraries/Java is
> OK for Fedora.  This is what the JPackage project is using.  For
> the few packages I've migrated from JPackage to Extras, I've
> changed Group to simply Development/Libraries although I would
> have preferred Development/Libraries/Java.  Is it really ok to
> use Development/Libraries/Java?

Language isn't really relevant for the group field: it's there to tell
you what something _is_, not what it's written in.  Take tomcat, for
example: its group is "Networking/Daemons", putting it in the same
group as httpd and zope.  Having seperate "Networking/Daemons/Java",
"Networking/Daemons/C" and "Networking/Daemons/Python" groups for
tomcat, httpd and zope wouldn't really add anything to the user's
experience.

Cheers,
Gary