Packaging guidelines: IPv6

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Jul 5 12:02:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 12:43 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Since we're going through all Fedora packages (well, at least Core for
> now; I'm sure we'll get to Extras next) and filing bugs for any which
> lack IPv6 support, should we also update the guidelines on the Wiki to
> recommend that any package which supports Legacy IP should also be able
> to use IPv6 and should do so 'out of the box' where appropriate?
>
> Would anyone object if I amended the PackageReviewGuidelines to include
> something along the lines of...
>
> SHOULD: If any form of networking over IPv4 networking is supported, the
> same functionality over IPv6 should also be supported, and should be
> enabled by default if the IPv4 support is.
>
> MUST: If IPv4 networking is supported, but for some reason the 'SHOULD
> support IPv6' documented elsewhere is not obeyed, a bug must be opened
> which should block the IPv6 tracker bug, and should contain a full
> justification for the lack.

requiring functionality in software is not part of the requirements for
PACKAGING the software.

We don't have i18n requirements for extras software, either.

so I do not think a must is appropriate.

the justification for the lack is not the duty of the packager. For that
you should talk to the upstream maintainer.

-sv