Packaging guidelines: IPv6

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Jul 5 14:30:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 12:43:26PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Since we're going through all Fedora packages (well, at least Core for
> now; I'm sure we'll get to Extras next) and filing bugs for any which
> lack IPv6 support, should we also update the guidelines on the Wiki to
> recommend that any package which supports Legacy IP should also be able
> to use IPv6 and should do so 'out of the box' where appropriate?
>
> Would anyone object if I amended the PackageReviewGuidelines to include
> something along the lines of...
>
> SHOULD: If any form of networking over IPv4 networking is supported, the
> same functionality over IPv6 should also be supported, and should be
> enabled by default if the IPv4 support is.

Clearly dependant on upstream.  However, suggesting that packagers use
"configure --enable-ipv6" where appropriate makes sense (e.g. xchat).

As for IPv6 usage, there's at least 3 things you can do today.

1) install radvd on your local router and advertise no routes, just a
   local prefix.  Then your internal connections can start using ipv6.

2) enable 6to4.  Kind of sucks in the US, as there are so few 6to4
   servers in the US.

3) use a tunnel service like sixxs.net provides (and aiccu is now in
   Extras).

Thanks,
Matt

--