ambiguity in the guidelines

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Jul 6 12:45:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 15:32 +0930, n0dalus wrote:
> This isn't about censorship. It's about respecting other people. You
> are free as always to say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean you
> should.

While I happen to think Seth is full of shit on this occasion, I'll
defend his right to state his position in any way he sees fit.

I was brought up in a predominantly Christian country, and the first
book of the Bible makes it entirely clear that to be ashamed of
nakedness and natural bodily functions is a sign of sin. I therefore
believe that if you find something offensive about the word 'shit', then
you are going to burn in hell.

More seriously, I believe you're misguided when you bring 'respect' into
it too. If I respect you, then I will speak freely in front of you, and
I will not assume that you have a moronic puritanical attitude to
language. If I don't respect you, or don't trust you to be a normal,
well-adjusted human being, then I may be _far_ more guarded about what I
say in your presence. Do not mistake that reticence for respect.

--
dwmw2