Re: ambiguity in the guidelines

On Thursday 06 July 2006 09:30, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >  You can put as little or as much as you
> > want.  Best practices would have you put your name, email address, and
> > optionally the version-release associated with this changelog.  You could
> > also put that version-release within the changelog entry rather than on
> > the CHANGELOGNAME line.  This is up to the packager's discretion.
>
> Your last sentence is what I find not helpful. As I perceive it, you
> seem to be keen on "making things unnecessarily complicated and
> confusing".
>
> > Reviewers can suggest that the packager follow the best practice, but in
> > the end it would be up to the packager on this issue.
>
> ... simply confusion.

Our packagers are not drooling idiots.  If they are, they should not be
sponsored.  If you can't understand a simple suggested layout, with provided
examples, perhaps you shouldn't be packaging for Fedora.

I will not support draconian approaches to packaging though.  Silly things
like this should be a packagers choice.  Things that really matter, like the
release string, or other such fields that are parsed should have rules.

Release Engineer: Fedora