Mass Rebuild to begin tomorrow (Tuesday, July 11)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 20:13:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 16:11 -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 01:22:05PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Monday 10 July 2006 13:10, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > > libtool stuff got accepted upstream so the mass rebuild will start tomorrow
> > > (after a maint window that effects one of our build arches).  Let the good
> > > times roll.
> >
> > Er, not libtool, but rather binutils, linker and glibc improvements for much
> > faster dynamic lib loading.
>
> The binutils side is already approved and we are just polishing the binutils
> and glibc patches now, should take just a few hours.
>
> But there is a question how to enable this and what defaults should be used,
> and that's something where wider input is desirable.
>
> Just a quick note what changed:
[...snip...]

Jakub,

If at all humanly possible, please do one of two things with this kind
of information, which is important enough for release notes.  In order
of preference:

1.  Edit the Docs/Beats for the appropriate area -- in this case the
DevelTools beat -- or contact the Beats maintainer with the appropriate
info.  Don't worry about style nitpicking, we take care of that in
editorial sessions.

2.  Use the '*docs*' keyword in your commit message -- a neat trick
we've had in effect for about a year that alerts the Docs team to
information that is relnotes-worthy.

We are grabbing this information for the Beats since they're going to
XML for translation today to make test2 release.  Thanks!