Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jul 12 07:00:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 08:34 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:27:39 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> > > Also, 'cause sometimes maybe your spec file _is_ specifically for that
> > > release for some reason, and it's too different for a bunch of %ifs to make
> > > sense?
> >
> > Even in those cases, %{dist} will always be correct.
>
> In the resulting binaries, yes, but not in the .spec file. As the package
> maintainer, you don't want to be confused by seeing %{?dist} and assuming
> it is a valid spec for multiple dists when in fact it is not.
As a maintainer you see one spec-file per-distro in CVS.

>  This avoids
> mistakes during mass-updates to your package branches.
How that? As a maintainer you have one spec-file per-distro, whether
%{?dist} is present or not doesn't imply anything on whether a spec is
buildable for a different distro.

Using it, however has advantages for specs, which are designed to be
shared across different distros.

> Using %{?dist} must not be mandatory. Hardcoding the value %{dist} would
> expand to is justified in some cases.
IMO, you are drawing invalid conclusions.

Ralf