Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 12 11:30:42 UTC 2006

Le Mer 12 juillet 2006 12:45, Michael Schwendt a écrit :

> %{?dist} is a variable, giving the false impression that the source
> package may be valid for arbitrary dist releases and that filling it in
> would be enough and that no other package updates are required. Even
> worse, the dist tag enters the file names of the built packages.

If you know your package will break on another release because foo package
was updated and changed its behaviour, you should require or BR foo with
the right version

(and yes I know it does not work right now but that's what versionned
requires were there for).

Blocking on distro version is utterly misleading as FE for example is very
dynamic but even very static releases like RHEL do have incompatible
updates every one in a while (5 years is a long time, can't froze all the
major versions when there is a big problem)

--
Nicolas Mailhot