Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jul 12 15:28:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 04:12:23PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > But isn't it more convenient to then have the one that is designed to work
> > on that dist to say so?
> You're assuming the package/versionset of a given distro is a constant
> which is not the case (RHEL/FC updates, rolling releases).

But what if it's a design decision _for this package_ and not something
dependent on anything else?

For a (theoretical) example, say I decide that the libGL/libGLU dependency
isn't such a big deal, and so decide to merge the wxGTK-gl subpackage back
into the main wxGTK package for FC6 and on. However, I don't want to force
this onto the existing FC5 package, since I don't want to make surprising
changes for people on running systems. To me, it makes sense at this point
to fork the spec file and tag the older releases with their proper name.