Drunk on power: FC1 and before.... [was: A Heads-Up: moving all FC3 bugs to "needinfo"]

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jul 12 15:58:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 01:18:46PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> *Then*, there's the question of _before_ that. There's 1051 bugs in open
> states attached to the "Red Hat Linux" and "Red Hat Linux Beta" products.
> Obviously a lot of that isn't going to be helpful or interesting after all
> these years -- and RHL9 is finally going out of Legacy support too. However,
> it's possible that there's some overlooked important/useful/still-relevant
> reports that would still apply to Fedora or RHEL.

I'm going to go ahead with this after OLS and after FC4, unless someone
really objects.

For Red Hat Linux 7.3 and 9 (472 bugs, by the way), I'm going to use a
message like:

   Red Hat Linux 7.3 and Red Hat Linux 9 are maintained by the Fedora Legacy
   project for security updates only. If this problem is a security issue,
   please reassign to the Fedora Legacy product. If it is not a security
   issue and hasn't been resolved in the current FC5 updates or in the FC6
   test release, change the version to match. (In either case, make sure to
   check the box indicating that the requested information was provided --
   thanks!)

   Please note that Legacy security update support for these products will
   stop on December 31st, 2006. Please upgrade any systems still running
   these releases to a current Fedora Core release or Red Hat Enterprise
   Linux or comparable. After the end of this year, any Red Hat Linux 7.3
   and Red Hat Linux 9 bugs still awaiting information will be closed as
   "can't fix".

   Thank you for your help.

(Um, I'd really like to point people at CentOS. But I can understand that
probably there's some preference for me not to. Any objection to the above
wording?)

For earlier Red Hat Linux releases (579 bugs):

   This release of Red Hat Linux is no longer supported. However, the Fedora
   Project is interested in making sure that important issues which are
   still relevant do not slip through the cracks. If this issue still exists
   in Fedora Core 5 or in the FC6 test release, please change the version to
   match and check the box indicating that the requested information was
   provided.

   I'm sorry this issue was unable to be resolved before this time. Thank
   you very much for your help.

Any comments?

Thanks!