Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Wed Jul 12 17:18:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mer 12 juillet 2006 15:55, Jima a écrit :
>>   Okay, just to clarify, is it no longer proper to use
>> "Release: 1%{?dist}.1" to bump within one branch without affecting later
>> branches? Because last I heard, that seemed to be the advocated method
>> for doing so.
>
> It was never proper and never made it to the official naming guidelines

  Whether or not it was ever "proper" by whatever definition you're
choosing to use, or endorsed by the Packaging Board (?), it was *the*
answer given out on more than a few occasions.  And judging by the
response to my claim, it was clearly embraced for a reason.

>>   Err, I think you kinda contradicted yourself there; I think you're
>> telling people TO use whole numbers, and not decimals.  Unless my brain is
>> warping the definition of "whole numbers," which is also possible
>> (although a cursory Google suggests not).
>
> You've missed the "in release" part.
> And there are exceptions like pre/post release packages (alphatags)
> -> read the naming guidelines

  I'm not sure you caught the context of my question, as Spot himself
confirmed the correction (in his typical entertaining way).

      Jima