Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Wed Jul 12 17:33:01 UTC 2006

>   Fair enough!  It might be worth noting that a probable exception to the
> "whole numbers" rule would be pre-release, where the whole number would be
> prepended by "0."...right?

Correct. A prerelease version would use the to-be version in the Version
tag, and 0.RELEASE.PRE-RELEASE-TAG; so that the official upstread release
would be the "first" ("-1") release of the package. For example, with my
packaging of Openbox 3.3-rc2, I use the following:

Version: 3.3
Release: 0.8.rc2%{?dist}

That way, when 3.3  final is release, I can update the Release tag to simply:

Release: 1%{?dist}

Take a look at the wiki's Packaging/NamingGuidelines page, especially the
"Pre-Release packages" section, for more information.

Hope that helps.

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail