Re: Core Packages in Violation of the Fedora Naming Guidelines

Le mercredi 12 juillet 2006 à 14:47 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway a écrit :
> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 15:18 -0400, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> > Jesse Keating wrote:

> > All Java releases for RHEL have been done this way, by adding _NNrh to
> > whatever the upstream JPackage EVR was with success.
> > For Fedora 3 and Fedora package a _NNfc was adopted.  Gary Benson used
> > to have a document describing it, which I thought lived in Fedora pages
> > somewhere.
> >
> > There are hundreds of Java packages there, all rebuilt from upstream
> > JPackage.org, shipped on Fedora for a couple of years with this EVR
> > convention.
>
> Perhaps its time to revisit this. Yes, it will be painful, but the way
> that these packages are named is painful.

So you're arguing to break technical features just because you find the
current naming ugly ?

How about working on a less-ugly naming with the same characteristics

> > W.r.t. the suffix added after the upstream EVR it does not really
> > matter.
>
> If this is indeed the case, lets drop it altogether. Adding this suffix
> (and the jpp naming) is merely going to cause rpm confusion down the
> road.

I think it's been used long enough on a packageset big enough to show
this is not the case

--
Nicolas Mailhot