continuing with sprint development post-fc5

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Mar 2 18:20:57 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 02 mars 2006 à 18:11 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :

> > Uhm... isn't the per Core release updates-testing repo appropriate for
> > exactly this sort of work?
>
> I considered the same answer. But the more I think about it the more I
> tend to "no, that's not a good idea". We might scare away those that
> only want to help testing updated packages that *should* work fine
> before they enter updates proper.
>
> So my vote: Create updates-experimental for this stuff.

I'm pretty sure you do NOT want to create such a repository.
If you create a single repository, where davej will push kernels,
mharris xorg updates, dan selinux stuff etc :
1. you're recreating rawhide (badly, by another name). What one
maintainer will call an acceptable experiment another will call
destabilising the common repo
2. you have the same problem as before : users are scared because they
may agree to experiment with the kernel, or selinux, or xorg, or
something_else, but never all of them at once

What you need is something like what happens on p.r.c., or with kernel
trees : specialized repos, each with a clearly defined functional
target, and only the stuff related to this target.

If you do it this way it'll be a big success. If you mix everything it
will be a repo in search of users like updates-testing.

(also if you separate stuff you can always create a consolidated repo
too, but I doubt it'll be used)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot