Need help with library issue on x86_64

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Wed Mar 15 21:10:42 UTC 2006

Orion Poplawski wrote:

> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>

>> usually just removing the dir entirely just works... the linker is not
>> stupid and does the right thing
>

> While the linker is not stupid, this libtool is.  It insists on
> scanning a list of directories for the libraries and only linking with
> them if it finds them.

This is from the same upstream authors that decided that if you're
building on i686, then you should definitely add -march=i686 to the
compile flags regardless of the flags the user has already decided to
use. Out of curiosity, I just looked at the Debian patches and noticed
that they have heavily patched this file--you might look at what they
are doing for a solution:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/h/hdf5/hdf5_1.6.4-4.diff.gz

-Quentin