Isn't it time for the encrypted file system???

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Mar 23 19:05:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 09:31 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Received an FedEX from  Fidelity  this morning seems, one of their
> laptops was stolen.  On the laptop, was the Personal information,
> including Social Security number,  of everyone in the HP Retirement
> plan  (I suppose this includes DEC/Compaq and HP.  They have us jumping
> through hoops and going to Credit Agencies to watch for unusual activity.
> Now if the system had been encrypted ...  Now why was this data on a
> laptop? I don't know.
>
> Laptops have becoming the standard machine for people, replacing the
> desktop.   We need to consider defaulting FC6 with encrypted filesystem
> or at least homedirs out of the box.  This should be a key feature of FC6.

Or maybe corporations handling that kind of data need to do take
protective security measures for their installations of operating
systems.

if I were in the same position I would, of course, use encrypted file
systems - but to have that overhead for the default is a bit extreme.

Sounds like the IT group in corporation needs to stop being so naive.

-sv