Isn't it time for the encrypted file system???

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Fri Mar 24 16:50:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:31:19AM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Laptops have becoming the standard machine for people, replacing the
> desktop.   We need to consider defaulting FC6 with encrypted filesystem
> or at least homedirs out of the box.  This should be a key feature of FC6.

 I don't think that encrypted filesystem is a good way. I think better
 idea is support for encrypted devices (partitions). It's solution
 independent on filesystem and it's useful for swaps too. For more
 details see cryptsetup-luks and dm-crypt.

 I have done work on util-linux patch that adds full cryptsetup-luks
 support to mount, umount, swapon and swapoff. See:

   http://people.redhat.com/kzak/util-linux-cryptsetup/

 I'd like to see it in the util-linux upstream, but upstream seems
 pretty inactive... Maybe we can try it as FC specific solution and
 don't wait for any external (upstream) solution.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>