Isn't it time for the encrypted file system???

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Sat Mar 25 01:49:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 17:50 +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:31:19AM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> > Laptops have becoming the standard machine for people, replacing the
> > desktop.   We need to consider defaulting FC6 with encrypted filesystem
> > or at least homedirs out of the box.  This should be a key feature of FC6.
>
>  I don't think that encrypted filesystem is a good way. I think better
>  idea is support for encrypted devices (partitions).

Yea.

>  It's solution
>  independent on filesystem and it's useful for swaps too. For more
>  details see cryptsetup-luks and dm-crypt.

We have full support for LUKS on removable / hotpluggable devices via
HAL these days, see http://blog.fubar.dk/?p=64 -  This stuff did make
FC5 and it's integrated with gnome-keyring manager / gnome-vfs etc.

(btw, for FC6 and GNOME 2.16 I hope to have a very simple formatting /
partitioning tool for drives which will include setting up LUKS
partitions - and it won't do silly things like requiring the root
password (in the default install; will be configurable) for at least
removable and hotpluggable media. Of course I can't promise to have this
done for FC6 as I presently do most of this in my spare time...)

    David